Nowadays the lack of financing (own or external) is not a problem to be an entrepreneur. We could say that it is, rather, an excuse to not take the step. Although it is true that you cannot start any type of business without funding, there are currently many options thanks in large part to technology and the Internet.
That is why here we want to show you all the keys on how to start a business without money and to be able to succeed.
I want to start a business but I do not have money
Starting a business, except for a few exceptions, requires a high dose of patience and perseverance, especially when you start with limited resources since the evolution and growth tend to be slower.
That is why, when you are going to create a company, you must be absolutely sure of two things:
- What you are going to start you like and motivates you, and therefore you will enjoy the work
- And you have the skills and aptitudes to develop this project, your ability will be a competitive advantage to stand out.
If you also have a source of income now and the possibility of continuing with it (although you are clear that it is not what you want for your future), your living expenses will be a less concern until your business starts generating its own income.
What business ideas can I undertake without money?
Your creativity is really the limit.
Today almost everyone has a computer and an Internet connection, and in many cases, this is enough to start a business without money and promote your products or services.
For other business ideas you will need some raw materials and equipment, but in many cases, if you have the knowledge, it is likely that you also have the necessary materials to start your business.
From there, with time and effort you will be able to grow, develop and expand your business as much as you can. We propose, below, some of the simplest options to start without financing, by not requiring raw materials or machinery. High cost:
- Consulting, advisory and support activities in which you have experience:
- Consulting in finance, marketing, marketing, organization …
- Tasks as an accountant or virtual assistant
- Designs: logos, corporate image, websites,
- Writing, transcriptions, translations
- Crafts, crafts, designs and arrangements of clothes … You will need the raw materials for your creations, but surely you have many of them, and in any case they are not usually high cost materials.
- Beauty and massage treatments: at home or at home. If you have the knowledge you will surely have the material to start, just spread the word among family and friends, friends of friends, online ads, …
But in reality there are many more … think for a moment about those activities that maybe you have been doing as a hobby but that you could transform into your livelihood. Those for which you already have the necessary materials and knowledge and which you could start right now. Discover the best profitable businesses with little investment and create your business without the need for money.
How to start a business without money?
The steps to take to start your project are the same with or without funding, because although the economic risks when you contribute few resources are scarce, the effort and investment of hours, your time, will be equal or superior … Therefore the foundations of your Entrepreneurship must be equally solid.
A firm will to take your project to success, good planning of the steps to follow, and your determination and perseverance to achieve the objectives that you have proposed will be the “how” to undertake without investment:
- The idea of business matures well, with the guidelines that we have given you (hope for that work and skills to develop it), that idea in which you can add value and you can have a competitive advantage.
- Validate your idea that it is a magnificent idea is not enough, it is also necessary that there is demand for the products or services that you are going to offer.
- Create your business plan, it will help you to validate the idea, to create your roadmap, to know the competition, …
- Form yourself: Review your business plan and identify where your weaknesses are, identify which facets you have least developed and start training right now.
- Do not forget your legal obligations. If you generate income you will have to get up to date with the current legislation in this regard, and depending on the activity you do, you may also need some type of accreditation, certification or license. Being informed correctly is a necessary precaution.
Keys to overcome the lack of financing when undertaking
Start with the simplest options, as your project grows and you start earning income you can reinvest to improve every aspect of the business. Focus on the main activity you want to develop and attract clients, especially with a job well done. The rest can be improved in parallel.
The imagination here is an important asset so that the lack of funding is just an anecdote. It is advisable to make a financing plan that lets you know what you need and how you can get it. Here are some keys that will help you start with few resources:
- Take an inventory of all the resources you already have and make the most of them.
- Start with established platforms, there are many free that will allow you to start your business without money.
- Job portals by project (such as upwork, workana or infojobsfreelance)
- Platforms already created and easily accessible for the sale of your crafts (ebay, etsy, …),
- Ad pages as secondhand.
- As soon as you have funds, you can also create your own personal blog, web services or your exclusive online store.
- You can find free online information on almost all the topics you need, if you find quality sources you will not need to invest money in courses and training.
- In many cases it is not necessary to build your own website, but if you decide to start it, look for the cheapest means:
- Hosting, domain, framework and design … there are currently multiple options and new ones emerge every day, and offerings expand.
- And try to do all the tasks that are possible (we insist again on the importance of training).
- And in any case, remember that at the beginning you do not need a perfect web, at the beginning you will not have many visits, start with something simple and well done and work every day to improve it.
- Perhaps paying the 300€ self-employed quota is excessive, there are alternatives for you to be able to invoice, for example, through a work cooperative, which in addition to being cheaper is faster and easier. Find the one that best suits your needs in terms of advice, commissions and deadlines.
- Also, if you opt for activities that require licensing, insurance, accreditation, …, and you have everything for a single activity (for example for a type of massage), start there, and over time you can get the accreditations to expand your services.
In short, start with what you already have or can do now, get your first customers for that activity and make all facets of your business evolve at their proper pace at all times.
Undertaking a business without money is not an easy task, we do not want to say the opposite, but without a doubt it is possible, and every day there are new entrepreneurs who show it.
So “only” are good ideas and a lot of determination. If you have these two factors do not wait any longer … take the first step!